Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Bachelor

Watching ABC's The Bachelor makes me happy.  Not because I believe that the couple at the end will find a happily ever after (I wish they would, but most don't), but because I don't think there is anything as funny as watching twenty-five girls fight over one guy.  And of course because of the fact that so much of the show is staged.  I have been watching this show ever since the handsome naval officer Andy Baldwin was the season's heartthrob and let me tell you...it gets better and better.  And the guys get sketchier and sketchier.

Perfection.  Look at that smile.

Let's start off with Andy.  He is actually perfect.  He went to medical school, runs triathlons,  and volunteers in Africa.  In fact, his website describes him as a "Doctor, Triathlete, Humanitarian."  That translates to: He is ambitious, sweet, and super hot.  The girl he chose, Tessa, dumped him shortly after. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?!

Yeah, he casually lifts weights (shirtless of course) amidst rugged terrain.  It's the ideal photo opp...didn't you know?

I absolutely loved Brad Womack's season.  Brad is a successful bar owner (with a twin identical brother!) and ended up rejecting both girls in the final two.  I completely respect that.  If he knew that his relationship with either would not last, why succumb to the drama and propose?  (Although he was on last season and didn't stay with the beautiful Emily Maynard..)

All Shane is thinking about is how she might actually get an acting gig after this.  And Matt just looks smug.  Guess he finally got his All-Amerian girl.

Then there was Matt Grant, a "global financier" but all you really need to know is that he is British.  Accent and all.  Obviously, I thought he was great.  Until he chose Shane Lamas, a tacky bottle blond who aspired to be an actress.  Oh Shane, there is no better free publicity than displaying your acting skills as a girl smitten with Matt.

Torn between two lovers. Melissa (L) and Molly (R)

And then we had Jason Mesnick, the single father from Seattle who got rejected by DeAnna Pappas (who was in the final two Brad's first season).  I loved Jason during DeAnna's season.  He was so dorky and sweet and you could tell that he really loved her.  When he proposed to Melissa Rycroft, I could not have been happier.  She was great with Jason's son Ty, seemed really smart, and appeared to be the better catch overall.  Then things got messed up.  At the "After the Final Rose" episode, Jason and Melissa were sitting on the couch and he broke up with her.  On national television.  She gave the ring back and the runner up, Molly Malaney, was brought out.  Jason told her that he still loved her and asked her to take him back.  Which she did, obviously.  I mean...who wouldn't want a guy with a receding hairline, a child, and one who just dumped his ex five seconds before on national television?   The couple ended up getting married, so I guess it worked out.  Whatever.  Melissa moved on too.  So there.  The bottom line is..Jason was too weak to stand up to the producers when they told him he had to break up with her on screen.

Yes of course I am going to fly this plane.  Right after I throw flowers onto the red carpet for the entering bride.  This season is On the Wings of Love after all.

The last contestant before Brad's return was the dashing pilot Jake Pavelka.  He was rejected by Jillian Harris four episodes before the finale, and I thought she was crazy.  Evidentially she knew what she was doing because he turned out to be a complete psycho.  He chose Vienna...I'm not even going to talk about her.  Runner-up Tenley was my favourite, but I am so glad she escaped.  Reports were circulated that Jake was abusive and on the "After the Final Rose" episode, his temper was revealed.  Crazy boy.


Clearly Ben loves his wine.

I am not a fan of this season's bachelor, Ben Flajnick.  I think the reason is rooted in my belief that he looks like the tennis player Rafael Nadal, who I really don't like. (I'd marry Federer in a heartbeat)  On The Bachelorette, he played the fun and unassuming boy, but on The Bachelor he is an arrogant guy who acts like he is doing a favour to all of the girls by being himself.  CUT YOUR HAIR BEN.  YOU AREN'T EVEN ATTRACTIVE.  Okay, my apologies.  Updates to this season will come at a later time!  And with all of the crazy girls in the house, this season is sure to be entertaining.

xoxo, m


No comments:

Post a Comment